Don't blame yourself for those Autofocus problems.

Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Don't blame yourself for those Autofocus problems.
Sep 15, 2012

It might seem statistically impossible to get 3 defective D90's from different sources, serial numbers well apart.

Reality is none worked properly out of the box regarding AF.

Of course we could blame technique, the AF points being a bit bigger than you think (valid point to a degree), or you might have lens problems (again valid but less likely)

Truth is if your DSLR isn't calibrated properly it's going to throw out your lenses for focus, some a little, some a lot. Depending on aperture, focal length, distance to subject DOF can vary a lot..what might seem ok for one lens could be loads off for another.

The point I'm making is a simple one..you know fairly quickly if you've got AF issues. For me it was blindingly obvious that all 3 bodies were quite some way off of acceptable or accurate calibration. Nikon's first repair came close..but with slight front focus, the second repair threw it out even more. I've no idea why but I needed a DSLR that could focus accurately..at least most of the time.

Those D90's were not doing it. D90 is a fab camera, and a great deal price wise. But time ran out and I had to press the buy button on a D7000.

All those "might be the lenses" threads have been firmly debunked. None of the lenses I have need any AF adjustment. If you're dialling in AF adjustments for most or all of your lenses, your AF is out of whack simple as that. You might get the odd one that needs a tweak, even the 35mm f1.8 is right on target with this body.

I send the D90's back..for obvious reasons. Maybe I was horribly unlucky..I'd have to wonder if that production line had some serious QC problems..3 iffy bodies well that's not good.

But the good news is there are decent bodies out there, if you get a lemon just send it back. But 9 out of 10 threads I've seen here, I'd wager the body is off..not the user.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow