ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rtf
rtf
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
A big thank you to the D800.
Sep 15, 2012

Just completed upgrading my gear. New D800, mint D700, 105 F2 DC, 16-35 F4 VR, 50 f1.8 AFD (sharp as hell on the D800!) SB910, SB900, 2 x Metz 58 AF1's, various filters, radio triggers plus the new computer and external hard drive.

Why the upgrade? - I'm full time, my old gear was worn out, and my camera equipment pays the bills.

My thoughts on the D800.

Initially the D800 bit me in the backside. Images were fine but nothing special.

I then adopted a medium format mentality to using the D800. Double checking everything - especially point of focus and depth of field, tripod used if possible, prior to clicking the shutter.

The results from the D800 improved to the point that I now work with minimal post-production.

I'm saving loads of computer time, and that's a huge bonus considering the size of the D800 files.

The D800 is not perfect, but I am actually enjoying the "back to basics" approach when using this camera.

Having changed the way I use the D800, I would now consider the D800 to be a fantastic camera for my needs. I think there is enough of a difference between the D800 and D600 to justify (again - for my requirements) buying another D800. Regardless of what "I buy mine from" says. God, don't get me started!.

Lenses:

For me, the Nikon 16-35 F4 VR is a very capable lens that really delivers my wideangle requirements on the D800. It's sharp, handles great, VR works well, and is well made. It's also smaller and lighter than I thought it would be.
It's staying on the D800 period.

I've tested both the Nikon 105 F2 DC and the humble 50mm F1.8 AFD - on the D800, and they are simply excellent. However, as I only have the one D800 body, my D700 coupled with either the Nikon 105 F2 DC, or 50mm F1.8 AFD, will get all the portrait work. Not the same requirement to show all the wrinkles in crazy detail, so the D700 is perfect for photographing another 100,000 smiling faces yet!.
Thanks for listening.
RTF

rtf's gear list:rtf's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow