Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mato34
Contributing MemberPosts: 875
Like?
D600-D800 high ISO RAWs compared
Sep 15, 2012

(Edit: You can see original screenshots in my gallery better than in this post. Seems to be some kind of processing when posting here, kind of resizing or reduction in JPG quality or something like that...).

Downloaded from Focus Numerique:

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1390/reflex-nikon-d800-bruit-electronique-12.html

http://www.focus-numerique.com/nikon-d600-jpeg-raw-toutes-sensibilites-news-3605.html

Processed using Raw Therapee, using same parameters (well, had to give an slight +20 on saturation on the D600). Then applied some contrast on Photoshop using curves and resized D800's picture to 24 MP.

I show three 100% crops comparison from the ISO 6400 (D600's shot is exposed 1/3 EV less than the one from D800 but exposure level in the images is almost the same, perhaps due to different lens used):

I can't see any meaningful difference between. The same for ISO 3200 and ISO 12800 (which I compared also). A good result regarding noise to me, given the D800 is at the same level than the D3s below ISO 12800 when resizing.

Regarding noise in the shadows at high ISO, I've tested it using ISO 1600 picture pulling up +4 EV in Raw Therapee. Looking at some shadows:

The D600 seems to perform equal, perhaps slightly better in second screenshot but nothing to write about I think. Anyway I won't rely too much on this: exposure parameters are the same on both cameras but exposure levels are very slightly darker on the D800.

Not to mention the caution we all must have regarding these first tests and comparisons we are seeing.

But... right now I think that the D600 it's up to the D800 regarding high ISO performance.

Saludos!

-- hide signature --

Please, excuse my poor english...

Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow