Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SouthElginDad
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
A57 JPEG Engine -- Seems Fine to Me
Sep 15, 2012

Now that the review is out, it seems that everyone (DPReview included) agrees that Sony's JPEG engine is crap, and everyone should shoot RAW. Except that this does not match my experience. I think the JPEG engine is just fine. Sure, it mushes fine detail at high ISO's, but so does Lightroom when you apply noise reduction. In fact, I prefer Sony's in-camera noise reduction to Lightroom, which to my eye adds an unrealistic, kind of dreamy look to everything.

To test this, tonight I took some high ISO pix with my A57 in both RAW and JPEG, and using the latest Lightroom I could not get the pictures to look any better than the out-of-camera JPEGs.

I assume I'm missing something here. Either my skills at using the NR sliders in Lightroom are not up to snuff, or my eyes are missing something critically important that everyone else can see. Can anyone shed light on this?

Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow