Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
elsier
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
Re: DX vs FX lenses
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Sep 15, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

elsier wrote:

Agreed. I have a decent array of birding lenses, but waiting for the new 80-400 -- the current one is horrible to work with in any but ideal light.

Have a peek at the Sigma 150-500 OS HSM ... stabilized, ultrasonic motor, and it tests fairly well. Also far cheaper than the Nikon alternative will be ...

I have it, and it's working well after a terrible time with it... My first unit's autofocus motor died on day 4 in a Costa Rica trip -- meaning I only had manual focus for the remaining 10 days (wonderful for a bird photographer!). It was returned. 150-500 #2 was a lemon out of the box: autofocus was inaccurate and erratic. It was returned. 150-500 #3, bought in Brazil, had a failed autofocus motor after two months. It was FIXED in warranty -- I absolutely refused to have it replaced -- and has been my main birding lens for almost a year now. My only issue with it is weight, and that is my fault, not the lens'. The great thing about the 80-400 is that it is quite light.

May I ask a stupid question (one which I have researched but have yet to find an answer I can understand)? DX lenses? FX lenses? I don't get the distinction...

FX lens -- full frame image circle on Nikon F mount ...

Ahh.

DX lens -- APS-C sized image circle on Nikon F mount ... obviously either vignettes on FX cameras or forces them into DX crop mode ...

Thank you! I finally understand!

CX lens, usually just Nikon 1 lens -- 1" sensor sized image circle with special mount for the V1 and J1 / J2 etc

That's the one that is coming with your new camera tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

Elsie
'The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.' - R.B.

elsier's gear list:elsier's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow