Older - maybe vintage - lenses on new DSLRs (plus: mold issues)

Started Sep 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gualberto
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Older - maybe vintage - lenses on new DSLRs (plus: mold issues)
Sep 15, 2012

Hello,

I'm about to buy my first digital SLR and I'd like to confirm something.

I have a Nikon FE2 from 1980 that belonged to my grandfather, and he left me the camera and some lenses for it as well, like the kit lens 50mm f1.8 E-series and a super sharp rokinon 135mm f2.8 macro, a 28mm f2.8 and a 85-210mm f4.5. All manual...

I'd like to be sure it will fit my future D5100, and if I will be able to use the focus indicator or maybe the rangefinder on the M mode to make it easyer to focus those manual lenses and don't lose a large amount of photos because of bad focusing...
I also have doubts regarding the metering, it wont have any problems, right?
Or maybe the flash...

And anyone knows some sort of site or blog of someone who actually takes pictures with vintage lenses? I have my doubts on the quality I can get from them... especially because mine are E-series and third part brands... so, will the pictures be any good?

Those lenses were carefully stored, but for like 20 years... but I had only minor issues with mold... basically, all the lenses had it on the front element, but was pretty easy to remove using tutorials... the only one who was eaten to the bones was the 28mm... I could only clean it by disassembling all the elements and putting it back... but now I can't make it focus to infinity again, but I intend to take it to some pro hands, as the shutter of the FE2 needs repair too.
So basically, any help with those minor doubts would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow