Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nbg70
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
FX vs DX for long shots
Sep 14, 2012

So i can use my D300 (DX body) with my 70-200 (FX lens) to replicate a longer focal length. (1.5 x 200 = 300mm). If i bought an FX body and used the same lens, it would be a 200mm focal length for real, but if i only used the 'center' of the image it would effectively be a 300mm image.

But what about the IQ?

The D300 has 12 million pixels. The new d300 (FX) has 24 million pixels, but in the example about, I'd only be using 'some' of them. IF i'm counting correctly, the DX sensor is about 43% the size of the D600 sensor (371 sq mm vs 862). If i use 42% of the larger sensor on this hypothetical image, that is 10.3 million pixels. So would I be correct to conclude that 10.3 million for the FX setup would be lower quality than the 12.3 million for that far away shot?

I realize for most of the work done using the full frame of both, there's no comparison.

thanks,

Neil

Nikon D300 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow