Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KevinJames
Contributing MemberPosts: 596
Like?
Instant Universal Lens Cap---Brilliant Solution
Sep 14, 2012

Everybody does it...loses or misplaces a lens cap, and that can be a particular problem for those, who like me, don't use lens filters to protect the outer elements of our good glass.

So I was in Tokyo, and not wanting to drag my whole kit on an all-day excursion, I loaded my D200 with Tokina 12-24 and Nikkor 28-105 (stuffed into a sock) into a tote bag, along with Gorilla pod and other items. When I got to my destination 30 minutes and 50 miles later, I discovered that the Tokina had no cap, it having fallen off in my bag as I removed the camera.

The obvious solution was to buy another cap, but that can be awkward at 8 AM in a small city where one doesn't speak the language. I had resigned my self to wasting two hours waiting for the shops to open, hoping I might find a camera store, when I noticed a photo print shop with the roll-up door open about three feet. Looking underneath, I spotted the proprietor and said good morning in my best Japanese.

He rolled up the door, and I pantomimed my need as best I could, tossing in words like "cap-u" and camera shop-u," hoping he would direct me to a store. He quickly understood my problem, but he clearly was not in the business of selling lens caps at 8 AM to careless tourists.

Nevertheless, he walked to the rear of his shop, where he cut a 15cm square of bubble-wrap and brought it to me, along with a rubber band and slipped it onto my lens.

Instant lens cap! Fits any size front threads!

You can bet I'll be carrying a square or two of bubble wrap and a few rubber bands in my kit in the future.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow