Printed photos too dark - any suggestions?

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Russell Fielding
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Printed photos too dark - any suggestions?
Sep 14, 2012

My brother's just had a year's worth of photos (476) developed at a 'major UK photography store'. At least half unacceptably dark. Appreciate it might be slightly my fault as I edited them all on laptop at full brightness (although how can we tell what brightness to edit at, especially when using a third party to develop our photos?).

I took photos of some of the worst photos (don't have a scanner) and edited them to look as close as possible on screen to the printed photos (realize the possible problems therein). I then merged each into a single photo showing my original edit together with how it was actually printed. The original photos are on the top (or left).

Is there an easy fix to apply to make the intended reprints much closer to the originals without overexposing or becoming too 'flat'. Is it just an exposure increase or contrast decrease or.... ? Could maybe batch process in LR or Faststone if such a thing is possible (or if the problems are generally the same for each photo).

Thanks in anticipation. My bro keeps badgering me to get them corrected. (I thought my work was over for the time being when I'd finally finished the original batch!)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow