Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
a99, D600, and D700 focus point layouts
Sep 14, 2012

I've seen some comments about the AF area coverage, so I decided to overlay the viewfinder AF markings from the D600 and D700 (images taken from Nikon brochure and imaging resource review) over the a99 points (image taken from DPR preview). Hopefully this clears some things up.

D600 points over the a99 points: The D600's 39 point array has slightly wider coverage than the Sony 19 point array, but only by one AF point space (if I can use that as a unit).

D700 points over the a99 points (D4 and D800 should be similar): The D700's 51 point array has significantly more coverage than the a99's 39 point array. Whether this is an issue will depend on whether you want to AF track subjects off center.

So I think it's safe to say that the a99's 19 point AF system has less coverage than competing systems from Nikon at the moment. However, I wonder if the on sensor AF points can be used directly, or as assist points in case the subject leaves the 19 point array. If that's the case, things get interesting, because the on sensor AF points give the a99 more vertical coverage.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow