Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ktwse
Regular MemberPosts: 344Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwater housing for RX100
In reply to Surya P, Sep 14, 2012

Surya P wrote:

Nauticam RX100 with those two lens I showed you can be a chameleon.

I like RX100 for its small size and great video, that is the main attraction and the great photo IQ is a bonus. With special mounting kit 67mm thread on float arm or a big BCD pocket and some sort of cloth bag, we can hide the Inon wide angle lens adapter on us, since that bloody Inon weights 577 grams , we can use it as BCD's most expensive intergrated weight belt ever ha ha ha.

[...]

In theory, with RX100 and those two lens, 1 dive can give you macro and wide angle without needing to surface and switch gear. Sounds like a dream yes ??

This is the exact setup I'm looking at. However, I'm thinking of simply using an Inon lens caddy (I use ULCS arms and tray). Investing in m67 wet lenses makes perfect sense to me. They can be moved between housings so switching setup is not as costly. Heck, I went from Canon FF to m4/3 and just thinking of the money I lost in that switch makes me nauseous...

The Inon wa 100 lens is a bit on the heavy side, but provided that the entire setup is slightly negative, it won't make it that unbalanced. I don't use float arms. Possibly stix that fit ULCS but rarely even that.

What will be interesting to see is how fast the RX100 is to focus in dark water. I've never used focus lights in the past, either did MF or the camera could handle it. With the Olympus, there was no option to use MF, and it was horribly slow... The RX100 seems much faster in my very unscientific tests (playing with the camera in stores), so maybe AF will be an option, however, with the Nauticam housing, MF is a very clear possibility.

Just picked up the camera today, and will most likely order the housing within a few weeks, although I don't have a dive trip planned until January.

Oh, and I think I need to change my sig...

Tom
--
E-PL2 / 9-18 / 14-42 / 40-150 / PT-EP03

ktwse's gear list:ktwse's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow