DIY universal light stand

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Boomanbb
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
It works ALOT better then you may think
In reply to UKphotographers, Sep 14, 2012

If you stick with a reflector on the strobe or small softbox, this setup works amazingly well, even in the wind. I have had the light at 8.5 feet up and at most, it will sway a few inches back in forth. The Bogen 3001 legs I am using will splay out even wider then shown and it is quite stable. IF i needed additional stability, I can simply place a 10lb weight (olympic set) over the legs with the pole thru the center. I have stood on the tripod so I know it can take the weight. If the wind gets above 20 knots, I am likely to not be shooting anyway.

Having three adjustable legs gives me the flexibility to setup in places you could never set a standard light stand plus the whole thing folds down to fit easily on my back seat or in the trunk with the strobe, receiver and battery pack in place.

Ben

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow