Downsides to no AA filter

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,018Gear list
Like?
Re: Downsides to no AA filter
In reply to shane gerrish, Sep 14, 2012

shane gerrish wrote:

so what are the downsides to the K5IIs without the AA filter?

• MoirĂ© effects would be more likely, esp when shooting fabric and man made patterns. Practice needs to show the degree in which this can manifest itself though. In the D800E it seems rather rare to have it appear and if it does it seems to be relatively easily dealt with in Lightroom.

• More careful technique is required to show the difference. This means using a lens at its optimal aperture (to have it out-resolve the sensor) and use of a tripod and mirror lock-up to minimize shake. I read somewhere that the one-over-focal length rule should be replaced by a one-over-focal length times 3 when shooting hand held.

We'll have to wait for real life examples to properly quantify this though.

In the mean time, I'm thinking along the same lines as yourself. Upgrading from the K-5 to the K-5II just for a better AF, would require a gigantic improvement in the AF module (more than realistic?). A real and significant potential to achieve additional resolution is another matter, and could convince me to upgrade.

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow