ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sol
Sol
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,395
Like?
A99 - Pre-ordered. Cancelled. Now considering a brand switch. Really sucks. :(
Sep 14, 2012

Started reading threads last night on the lens situation with the A99. Many here are indeed saying "WTF!". But many here actually seem to be okay with it, and/or explaining it away as no big deal. Why are so many here okay with the A99 lens situation? I don't get it.

I had Pre-ordered the A99 yesterday morning, having been aware of most of the A99 features over the last few weeks, thanks to SAR. And most all of them turn out to be true. So after long debates with myself, hating Sony's general direction toward video and EVF, I figured the only way to give the Sony EVF system a fair assessment was to use it in the field. (FTR, hated the A77 EVF when I tried it out in the store) As a professional photographer, 90% of my business is portraiture. But a significant part of my business is shooting and creating Sports Art, in night-time low-light shooting situations. So I did get excited reading about the A99's hi-ISO performance, and the new very advanced AF-D mode. Looking at the Sony Store site, I didn't even notice the little light grey '4' after the 'New AF-D Mode' in the feature section of the A99, which takes you to the 'footnotes' to tell you It only supports a very limited number of lenses. Are you kidding me! This is their "Flagship Pro Camera" and at the time of launch, only supports SIX LENSES!!!
As I mentioned, I am a working professional photographer.
My workhorse lenses are:
Sony 24-70 2.8
Sony 135 1.8
Sony 70-200 2.8
Minolta 300G 2.8 SSM
MInolta 85 1.4
Minolta 100 2.8 Macro
Sigma 12-24 EX
Also a Minolta 70-200G SSM

And Sony just released their long overdue 'Pro Model' and are informing me (only in the fine print I might point out) that only one of my lenses will actually work with this new advanced AF-D feature. Am I disappointed? To put itmildly. Frankly, I'm p* d.

I'm going to give this a couple of days to let the steam from my ears die downs bit, then I'll make a decision on whether or not I will cut my ties with Sony all together. Hopfully, someone from Sony will make a public statement as to which, if any other lenses will be included through a firmware update, and how soon that might happen.

I personally think their focus on video in their DSLR design, sucks for still-photography camera design. I think the EVF is a sub-par shooting experience compared to the abilities of the human eye and the OVF. But I know that's a personal-preference thing. But producing a "pro camera" that only works with a few of their lenses, not to mention excluding the "16 million" A-mount lenses in the market place that they bragged about when they bought the K-Minolta camera division, that really sucks. I've been an A-Mount user since 1992. But this is a deal-breaker.

-- hide signature --

Sol
http://SolarviewPhotography.com/

'There would be so many more happy digital photographers in the world,
if the 100% zoom button on their computers, was permanently disabled.'
. . . . where is my 100% Lupe, anyways ??' -Sol

Pentax K-m (K2000) Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow