Is the new D600 a valid upgrade to D700 owners ?

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Re: I disagree re D400
In reply to rhlpetrus, Sep 14, 2012

rhlpetrus wrote:

There is space between 1,200 (D7k's MSRP) and 2,100 (D600's MSRP) for a pro DX > body. Nikon can't leave that to Canon, which is selling 7Ds very well. It's likely that > Canon will keep that line and launch a 7D2 with updated sensor and AF (the new 61 > pt system seems good), and fast fps rates.

Neither the D7x00 line nor the just created D600 line can fill that gap, functionally. > My bet the D400 will come and will be quite revolutionary (hybrid AF using Nikon 1 > tech). When is a good question though.>

rhlpetrus I think you make a good point. But I don't see many 7Ds out there. I compete in camera club competitions here on the east coast. I know of two people who shoot with a 7D out of near 300 people. My business partner and a friend on the cape. Most have 5D's and the rest have one of the T DSLRs (T1, T2i, T3i). With Canon going away from the 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D and 60D line as their DX pro bodies. I really feel Canon will go the same route with the 7D.

To be honest I really hope that Nikon does offer a D400 because I know of several of our club members that would like that. But I just don't see it in the pro size body. I could be totally wrong here, LOL I have been wrong before so it is nothing more than me speculating.

One of the reasons I don't see it is that the D600 and D800 offer a Dx crop mode. (As does the D4). With 10 and 15 mp options. Why make those modes available on these DSLRs if you are going to build a D400? It doesn't make sense to me. A D7100 on the other hand does make sense and with some additional mega pixels, higher ISO performance could fit in the $1,200.00 area. Making a D400 at $1,599.00 would be a nice fill in for that gap. But we will have to wait and see. Hope your right!
All the best and keep on shooting

Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography

TerryAnderson's gear list:TerryAnderson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D90 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow