Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,103Gear list
Like?
XP-1 does Pa Dutchland and online photo course
Sep 14, 2012

Even though both our time out of the house and geographic horizons are greatly limited these days due to my caregiving duties, the dogs and I have been getting out now and then to hunt doves, the only upland bird season open right now. As usual, I try to take some snapshots of the places we go, in addition to just hunting pics. Here are a few pics from the past few days.

I'm taking an on-line course in fine art nature photography. To my enormous disappointment, it turns out that 99% of the "art" consists of blurry flower macros, which I wouldn't walk across the room to view. Nonetheless, I am trying to get something of value out of the course since I paid for it. Here are my attempts at "art" pics for the course. I don't have any flowers to photograph (the deer would eat them instantly), but I have many acres of beans and Timothy:

I also have lots of forest. Here's the straight shot, which to my eye, isn't all that bad at showing a harbringer of fall:

Here's the "artsy" rendition, which I don't really like:

Finally here's some cockelburrs, which I hate as a long-haired dog owner, but I thought the damned things looked "artsy" with the backlight:

What do you think?

Now some normal photos that I find more interesting than blurry foliage. I've attempted to use some of the new things I learned in the course, like selective blurring, on some of them. 1700's barn and draught horses:

Old barn and house:

18th Century house and garden:

Workbench:

Laundry in old summer kitchen:

Wagon in barn - I kinda like this one because there are three separate sources of lighting:

Sorry, but I can't do a post without a few semi-hunting pics (Leica, not XP1). 14 year old Maggie afield on the family farm on opening day:

Low water in the river by the farm:

My buddy, Chase, scanning the skies for incomers on opening day of the season:

Thanks for looking. Lemme know what you think.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow