No Sony SLRs any more, ever.

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
1DanC
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Re: No Sony SLRs any more, ever.
In reply to jerome_munich, Sep 14, 2012

I can't agree with this, My biggest disappointment (and there aren't many) with the A77 and no doubt with the A99 is the EVF in low light situations. Frankly it's poor technology compared to an optical viewfinder coupled to the characteristics of the human eye which can compensate for low light by dilating the iris. With and EVF, amplified noise is just that, noisier noise. Projected onto an EVF and you get the resulting speckled display that is nigh on impossible to use to discern detail. The A700s OVF has served me better considering the full spectrum of use for everyday photography in all its diverse lighting conditions.

The other thing that is lost with an EVF is the ability to judge the lighting in a scene using ones experience. With my A700 I could gauge a sense of when a photo had a dynamic range that would lead to clipping. With an EVF the lighting is normalised for display at least within the bounds of the EVF's dynamic range. it's hard to judge until after the shot.

My belief is that there are a couple more iterations on the tech before it could credibly replace an OVF. Yes, the ability to provide dynamic information is wonderful but as a phtographer its about the ability to judge the image that is more important. Lets see what the A7 and A9 are like.

Dan C

1DanC's gear list:1DanC's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow