E-M5 vs Nikon D90

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Antony John
Antony John Senior Member • Posts: 1,248
E-M5 vs Nikon D90

Having been waiting around for a D300 replacement (in vain) and deciding to see what the D600 will offer (simply for the times I would need FX over DX - i.e. use my wide FX primes as designed - and waiting for the 'D400') and now being 'underwhelmed' with the D600 pricing (not worth the times I'd need it) I'm looking at an M5.

It's not that this is a 'knee-jerk' reaction. The M5 would be more suitable for travel anyway so has been on my 'watch list' since it was introduced.
A few questions though.

1. How does the M5 compare with the D90 IRO IQ? Whenever possible I use 'Lo1' - ISO 100 - on the D90 because at 200 Base ISO I find too much shadow noise (and yes, there is a significant difference between Lo1 and ISO 200 shadow noise on the D90 and I don't see loss of DR by using Lo1).
2. What would you recommend as a 'lens list' for the M5? - 'best of the best'.
3. Suggestion for a Nikon Lens to M5 conversion attachment?

4. How do the m4/3 lenses compare with the Zeiss lenses? (Noting that Zeiss will have 'mirrorless' lenses next year - in other words, should I wait for Zeiss lenses in certain areas?)

5. Specifically looking at the wide end, how do the available m4/3 lenses stack up against the FF ones? - such as the 12mm F2 vs 24mm FF equivalent

Sorry for the '1000 questions' but trying to figure out the pros and cons for going m4/3.

Will keep the Nikon lenses for when they come out with a camera I want (D300 replacement - preferably mirrorless in a 'classic' camera body)
Thanks for any help/suggestions received.

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D810 +22 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow