Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,478
Like?
Natural light wedding photographers
Sep 14, 2012

Seems like I do a lot of weddings in dark churches and reception halls where I have to use flash. I don't mind, actually. I use anywhere from 2 to half a dozen lights and enjoy having control over them. But I have often wondered how the photographers who actually advertise that they don't use flash and only use "natural" light handle such situations.

I think I got part of my answer today in this email that came from a current client:

"Dear Michael. I do have a question for you. A friend of mine contacted me last night. She is getting married on XXXXXX around 4pm and apparently her photographer backed out on her yesterday. According to the original photographer, being that my friend is getting married inside, the lady told her that she would need a special lens in order to shoot the indoor wedding (of course she probably could have told her that at booking). I told her that you do need a decent lens to shoot inside, but a good flash is more important. If you are available that day, would you entertain speaking with her and maybe doing this?"

The original hired photographer did indeed sell herself as a "pro" and a wedding photographer. While I'm glad she ended up being honest with the bride, it's amazing she ever got so far as to be hired in the first place. Maybe after a few weddings this summer, she realized that her kit lens wouldn't cut it in low light and she doesn't make enough to buy a better lens or a bunch of flashes.

This is the FOURTH wedding this year in which I either replaced or filled in for a "professional" who ended up not being very professional.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow