Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Twong
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
Short play with D800
Sep 14, 2012

A friend lent his D800 with 14-24 to me for a few hours to play with but I did not have my K-5 with me at the same time. Long story short, there is no magic.

The D800 is no doubt very well built. However, without the battery grip, it is just too short for me. My K-5 has the grip for me to hold it properly. With the 14-24, the combo is heavy. The lens cap on the 14-24 is a joke. The Sigma 8-16 and Samyang 14 have way better lens cap.

Pentax K-5 interface is intuitive, no manual is needed to use. I had a hard time finding how to change ISO, EV. On Pentax, you can turning the rear dial to magnify, which, to me, is extremely intuitive. Nikon has dedicated keys for magnification and reduction. If you want the histogram, you press the unmarked down button. I don't know why Nikon has a info button but does not provide useful information. May be Pentax patented the interface arrangement such that nobody else can copy.

The 14-24 is very sharp but the end results were comparable to the Sigma 8-16. The main advantage is that the NIkon is a f/2.8 lens.

The DOF is much shorter than K-5 with comparable FOV. It can be an advantage or disadvantage, however.

In summary, I am very happy with my K-5.

Twong's gear list:Twong's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +16 more
Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow