No Sony SLRs any more, ever.

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Piginho
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: No Sony SLRs any more, ever.
In reply to altendky, Sep 14, 2012

altendky wrote:

Thanks, I skimmed the link but a full read and analysis will have to wait for the morning. Follow up question: what do you suppose is the actual FOV of an OVF/EVF? I don't have either so I can't reference, though 90deg seems high. Also, only in the camera world of Bayer filters do they get to count red, green, and blue pixels separately. :] Hence my rounding up to 1MP EVF resolution... actually 0.8MP. I figure this is really more relevant than the 2.4MP claim.

It's a bit more complicated as the concentration of receptors in our eyes is actually heavier in the straight ahead position, particularly the cones which are responsible for identifying colours, which makes sense, as we don't need such hi-res peripheral vision, but really FOV doesn't matter so much as there is such a gulf between the acuity of the human eye and the paultry number of pixels in an EVF.

Also, the specific number of receptors within the FOV is not entirely relevant, as the eye scans and builds a picture in the brain. It can only do that if the details in the image are visible, such as with OVF and not possible with the limited number of pixels in EVF. That said, the brain probably interpolates to some degree anyway.

I know that most EVF convertees/devotees will probably say that all of this doesn't matter in the real world of image capture and if they're happy with that conclusion, so be it.

I, for one, still trust my eyes and I'm 3 dioptres shortsighted, but then that can be catered for with the camera's dioptre adjustment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow