Thank You E-PL1: New GF3 and E-PM1 Owner (Questions)

Started Sep 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?
Thank You E-PL1: New GF3 and E-PM1 Owner (Questions)
Sep 14, 2012

Well, today, I purchased the E-PM1 kit from Cameta (through eBay) after having just purchased the GF3 body for $120 2 days ago. I loved my E-PL1, but it struggled with pictures of people to focus on the people & not the background, so I decided to update to newer technology. I kept the 14-42mm II MSC lens (which I got separately on its own to update from the original 14-42).

I will know more after I use them both, but I theorize I will prefer the E-PM1 because (a) I like Olympus' JPEG treatment (although I'm told the GF3 is way better than past Panasonics) (b) IBIS (c) hot shoe for a bubble level (I did buy a "gorilla pad" for the GF3 though, just in case). Then again the GF3 has the touch-screen AF/fire the shutter. People say they LOVE that, and they prefer its LCD (although the E-PM1 leaving the icons outside the image may be something I like). As cheap as I got the GF3 (red body for $120) I figured if I prefer the E-PM1 (as I think I will) I can let my wife use it, she's the perfect candidate (likes to take pictures of kids in full-auto mode & wouldn't want to goof with the E-PM1's clip-on flash--she's used a DSLR before but lately hasn't bothered).

Have any of you here used both models (GF3 & E-PM1), and can give any impressions about which you preferred & why? I won't use external flash, but I like the presence of the hot shoe so I can easily attach a hot-shoe spirit level to it (but again, I got a "gorilla plate" or whatever from B&H that lets you attach a spirit level via the tripod socket to the GF3).

At any rate, I have to say--Olympus & Panasonic really tapped into a need with the micro 4/3rds system. It is funny--I took my E-PL1 and the Nikon D5100, a very modern 16mp APS-C d-SLR with great technology, on a recent trip where I did a lot of landscape shooting, and I enjoyed the D5100--but I think I enjoyed the E-PL1 for landscapes more. It was so great how light it was, and frankly it was easier using it in some ways. In particular, as I used a bubble level to ensure level results, it was easier checking the spirit level when not having to also peep through a viewfinder, instead I just alternated glancing at the spirit level & the LCD for composition.

When I enlarged the images 16x20, they look great--frankly, if the D5100 images were better, I couldn't tell., at least with the shots I took. Most of all, I really enjoyed not having to mess around with post-processing, I actually made AdoramaPix enlargements from the completely unaltered Superfine-Large JPEGs.

Again, having not used the GF3 or E-PM1 I don't know, but I figure the GF3 will be what I give to my wife for "kiddy pics" & I use myself on occasion, and the E-PM1 will be what I use for what I used my E-PL1 for--but whatever, I'm looking forward to my journeys with them both.

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow