D600 might be my tipping point.

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Holloway
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
Re: A word to the wise
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Sep 13, 2012

Hi Tom,

My goal was not to convince you either way, as the conclusion is whatever is right for you

Don't let people try and convince you that one system is superior. It just isn't. they are both great.

L lenses are not a luxury for me as I have been buying them for eight years. I go at about one every 15-18 months. I have the 35/1.4, 135/2, 300/2.8, 17-40/4, 24-105/4 and 70-200/f4. Next year I'd love to get the 85 f1.2. I also have non L lenses, 20, 35, 50 f1.4, 85 1.8. It's only in the last five years that I stuck exclusively to L lenses and purchased 3 of them. I use all my lenses (24-105 least) - some more than others. I normally carry 4 with me on any day. My favorite set being the primes from 35, 50, 85 and 135.

I will almost certainly sell the 24-105 in the next few months to part finance the 85mm, Great lens, but for some reason I rarely use it.

Joy of joys, my 13 year old son now uses my old 30D - he's only allowed to use the 35 f2 as I want him to learn to shoot pictures versus stand still and zoom about. I learned on a full frame Fujica film camera witha 50mm lens

Rob

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

your long post almost convinces me. The only passion in this decision if the passion any business owner makes when making an investment. It's not a hobby.

Lately is seems like Canon is counting on selling a certain amount to well healed hobbyists. I don't collect equipment, I use it. There's no joy in new hardware, just potential. I don't have the luxury saying "I only buy L lenses." I have to say, will I use a lens often enough and does it offer significant enough benefit to put the money in X rather than Y. The 24L II bases this muster, it's a bread and butter lens. 17TSE doesn't, too much $$ for the times I'll use it. And Canon has no other good lens in that length.

And you are right, now the camera brand just doesn't matter. It did 8-9 years ago when Canon sensors were so much better, but not now.

Tom

http://www.kachadurian.com

Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Robert Holloway's gear list:Robert Holloway's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow