Unique Photo purchasers, a word of caution…(long)

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Unique Photo purchasers, a word of caution…(long)
In reply to jitteringjr, Sep 13, 2012

jitteringjr wrote:

This is a word of caution to anyone contemplating ordering on-line from Unique Photo

Sorry to hear about this, but please next time you make a purchase online, come here and ask if anyone has experience with the retailer first.

B&H and Adorama are the most reputable of photo gear retailers. If you see a price that is significantly lower than what they are charging, be very afraid.

I appreciate the senitment and advice and am aware what to do to protect myself in this situation. I can honestly say I am convered in this respect. I have lost nothing but Unique has lost the respect trust they began building with me.

Unique has been advertising flooding the airwaves of radio and TV lately, billing themselves as the state's only photogrphy superstore, across the river and in direct competition with B&H where I have bought the majority of my current equipment. I personally would not put them in the same class as B&H, on any level, especially after how they handled my issue.

I have been to Unique and made purchases in person in the past, finding them pleasant and always willing to help. I am not upset I may not get the lens at the advertised price. Nor am I upset the CC charges have been pending for sometime in spite of their telling me they reversed them days ago. (got it covered)

The only reasons I posted this was to warn others their "secure" website is not and has not been functnioning properly for some time, which they are aware of, yet they continue to operate it; purchasers risk having extraneous charges being posted above and beyond their agreed to purchase price, which Unique has acknowedged being made by them, but have failed to identify why they were; and getting the truth and root of their situation, even from the manager, is difficult and not to be relied upon.

It is possible I may choose purchase from them in the future, but that would only occur as part of a face to face transaction and may not happen for some time. My experience currently leaves me giving preference to any number of alternative resoures, even if it means it costs a little more.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow