Sony A99 plain bad timing

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
osu
osu
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Not sure I agree that this is a D800 competitor
In reply to touche56, Sep 13, 2012

I think the target audience for the a99 is existing Sony/KM customers with a lot invested in the system already. People that are APS-C users thinking about FF as a way to get to the "next" level.

I just do not see folks with the disposable income to spend and that have zero invested in any one system looking at this and the D800 and deciding on the a99. Additionally, I do not see anything in the spec that is going to cause folks heavily invested in C & N gear to up and sell off everything to come over to an a99 so that they can start anew. It's just not gonna happen.

Personally, I am heavily invested in Sony-KM gear but the price is about $800 more than I'd be willing to pay right now. At $1999 USD I think this would have been a huge, huge hit. It would have been so big that no place would have been able to keep them in stock. Sony's margin per would have been lower but they would have sold many more.

Lastly, I think the a99 price point can allow us to estimate that the FF 36MP Sony for 2013 will come in around $3500 USD. By that point the D800 will have been on the market for 18 months and the cost will probably be closer to $2500.

osu's gear list:osu's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow