Olympus OMD EM5 as first serious camera purchase?

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
avgZ3R0
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Olympus OMD EM5 as first serious camera purchase?
Sep 13, 2012

Hi folks! I'm new to the forum and am looking to get back into photography. Took photography in college(9 yrs ago) with my Grandfather's AE-1 program(now passed down to me) and loved every minute of it.

Ever since I saw the first DSLR I always wanted one but could never afford it, so I've made due with full function point and shoots. And because of this have never quite enjoyed photography as much as I did in college. (Antiquated menus for priorities suck)

Now the wife and I are planning a LARGE out west road trip and I was thinking of picking up my first DSLR. I start reading forums again, and learning about new tech, and I find out about M 4/3s. This leads me to the Oly OMD EM5.

So of course the questions is should I buy it versus a DSLR? I will end up taking it backpacking with us so the weathproofing feature would be nice. And at first I thought I could only afford the kit, but I received my anual bonus and can afford a little more. ($2000 ish)

So what should I get? I'm leaning heavy towards the EM5 with maybe a prime and a tele that would be good for landscape/nature photography (going to rushmore, yellowstone, crater lake). I may also get a bag/pack for it too. Should I even bother with the kit lens?? I would want something else that would be weatherproof if not.

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Matt

Ps. We leave in a month for the trip. And my profession is engineering.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow