Why the RX1 is a bargain

Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,056Gear list
Like?
Yep!
In reply to shawnfb, Sep 13, 2012

shawnfb wrote:

I almost want to agree here, It may well be a complete bargain at $2,800 (SRP) save the fact that one may look at the hot shoe viewfinder accessories priced at 400-600 dollars! (wow)... anyway, if I were to plunk down $2,800 for this 35FF compact, there really is NOTHING I "need" to buy or can buy to compliment the camera save a nice case, maybe a battery and some memory, thus making my final purchase indeed a FINAL purchase.
My Nikon is constantly costing me money, new lenses, etc...

If the IQ is stellar, the lens impeccable, and it offers amazing macro not to mention it should offer amazing cropping ability.. I am in.

It really will change they way we focus, pardon the pun, on picture taking and the art of photography. move closer to your subject with your arms or body, etc.. I am excited to get one, I will carry my FF camera EVERYWHERE now... cool stuff!
--
shawn

Amen to that.

This is a specialty camera. So, it is not surprising that the audience will be limited. But a camera like the RX1 has the attention of professionals. Not surprisingly, it is mostly them who are excited about it. Those dismissing it don’t seem to be able to differentiate FF versus APS-Cs. These most would be the people who are “shocked” that a full frame camera with a lens can cost $2800. They want RX1 for the price of APS-C body.

I am very much sold on the idea of RX1, and if it delivers. I’ve wanted a FF camera, and A99 was a serious consideration. But spending on A99 would be a lot more expensive. To take advantage of its capabilities, I would have to add two more lenses, for a combined cost of $6K at the minimum, assuming $4K for the body and Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 (the kit lens).

RX1 is $2800, with Zeiss 35/2. Many people dismiss prime lenses. I prefer them. And with RX1 including a 1.4x and 2x Smart Teleconverter, there just may not be any need for a zoom lens anyway, effectively covering 35mm (optical), 50mm (1.4x) and 70mm (2x) range with the benefit of a large aperture.

I could simply sell everything else, just keep A55, 16-50mm f/2.8, 90mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/2.8 lenses and add RX1, and I will be set for just about any occasion I engage in. Total cost for this upgrade to me: $1500.

That is a bargain!

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow