slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,026Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina vs. Zeiss - TAKE 3 :-) :-)
In reply to marco1974, Sep 13, 2012

marco1974 wrote:

What I see:

• essentially indistinguishable sharpness

• the Tokina has slightly more LoCA (to be expected since it is wide open vs. 2 stops down. The Zeiss has even more LoCA wide open, which of course means f/1.4 for it. The LoCA on the Tokina clears completely by f/4)

• there's a slight difference in colour cast (most noticeable in the white background). The Zeiss is slightly cyan and the Tokina is slightly magenta.

I very much agree with you. I prefer the Zeiss because of the CA. I think it is a bit nicer overall. At the end of the day the biggest difference in image terms will be that the Zeiss gives you an extra 2 stops and the Tokina gives you 1:1. The Zeiss is a tad expensive and the Tokina is good value. I have used the Zeiss and it was much sharper than the Nikon 105DC I used to own but I skipped it in favour of the Sigma 85mm f1.4. I considered the Tokina recently and think it would have been a good purchase but opted instead for a Nikon 60mm micro (I wanted a small alternative to my Sigma 150).

If I was going to buy one lens only in this range it would be a Zeiss 100mm f2 makro. I'm curious to see how the new Zeiss 135mm performs. I must admit I think the price will put me off even though I have spent that kind of money before.
--
http://www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow