Started Sep 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
anand53
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
7D Maximum bursts display in view finder and actual maximum bursts
Sep 13, 2012

This is a phenomena I noticed after the firmware up gradation to 2.0.0 and continuing with 2.0.3. and my mail to Canon India.

-- hide signature --

I upgraded my 7D to 1.2.5 in February 2012 and to 2.0.0 in August 2012. Immediately after upgrading to 2.0.0. I had improved maximum bursts but the display in view finder was shown as 3 in RAW and 4 in Jpeg. A friend of mine also experienced this . Canon Bangalore suggested that I cancel all camera and CF settings. This is not a permanent solution. Then we zeroed down that the display issue can be addressed by NOT setting the High ISO noise reduction at High. When the High ISO noise reduction was set at Standard/Low/Disable, the view finder was displaying 23 in RAW and 99 (maximum of two digit) in Jpeg.

The issue is relating to display in view finder . In RAW while the display was showing 3, I got 26 shots in 7 seconds (17.31.02 to 17.31.09) In Jpeg, while the display was showing 4, I got 155 shots in 52 seconds (17.33.43 to 17.34.35) That is 3.7 fps in RAW and 2.98 fps in Jpeg. Well below the 8 fps capabilities of the 7D. Is the reduced fps due to Low Speed Continuous?

The settings were P, ISO100, Standard PS, AWB, Evaluative Metering, AI focus, Low Speed Continuous, High ISO Noise Reduction - High, with Sandisk Extreme UDMA 16GB CF card.

Setting High ISO Noise reduction may reduce the number of maximum bursts but should display the reduced number correctly in view finder. Instead, though the number displayed was 3 and 4 in RAW and Jpeg respectively, I got the increased maximum bursts with High ISO noise reduction set to High.

I had not come across any reference to the issue of reduced display in view finder on dpreview.com.

I upgraded to 2.0.3 and hoped that the issue relating to display of maximum bursts when CF II 2 is set to High is addressed. Even after the new firmware (that fixed the freezing of camera not experienced by me with APO set to one minute) the display of 3 and 4 as maximum bursts is continuing and shows the correct number 23 in RAW and 99 (maximum of two digit) in Jpeg, only after the CF II 2 is set in Standard/Low/Disable.

Putting it sipmly, if CF II 2 is set to High, the maximum bursts are displayed in view finder as 3 in RAW, 4 in Jpeg and 4 in RAW + Jpeg.

Is this issue firmware related?

anand53's gear list:anand53's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow