One shot: 55-250 at 250 or 70-200 at 200 crop?

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Re: One shot: 55-250 at 250 or 70-200 at 200 crop?
In reply to JRMDC, Sep 13, 2012

JRMDC wrote:

Thanks, all who responded.

Some said they needed more info on the shot. Static subject next to RR tracks, with oncoming train, anticipate only 10-15mph or so. Light will be between 45 degrees and side light. Subjects distant; face of train will not fill more than, say, 1/8 frame.

If your primary subject is stationary, that changes my earlier recommendation. I recommend the using the 55-250 lens for this situation. The moving train is secondary and its motion blur would be a function of the selected SS, regardless of the lens used.

IMHO the 55-250 lens should provide you with results better suited for your situation purpose and expectations. This lens is often under rated because it is not L quality and is so inexpensive (by comparison), but it is capable of producing some fine results.

FWIW, using an f-stop about f:8 is typically the sweet spot for sharpness on his lens. You may want to use a smaller aperture (higher f-number) to increase your depth of field, but balance this carefully with your SS to get the blurring (or lack of blurring) you want from your moving train.

Good luck with your efforts.

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow