texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: I am back to m43 format
In reply to Absolutic, Sep 13, 2012

Absolutic wrote:

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

I just decided to go back to the m4/3 format for my light setup and sold my Sony NEX-7 with NEX lenses, and purchased on the used market OMD with 12-50 and 45 1.8 (coming to me as we speak).

Although I thought (and still do) the picture detail on NEX7 was phenomenal, the (relatively) slow AF finally got to me as I was trying to take pictures of my 4-month-old.

. . . At some point, you're going to want to photograph your child indoors. The 45 is a little long in close quarters and the 12-50 is not well suited at all for a fast moving subject in bad light. The new Panny 12-35/2.8 would be ideal and there are some faster wider primes like the 12/2, 17/2.8, 20/1.7 and 25/1.4. Some here complain that the 20/1.7 focuses too slow which may have been true when used with earlier cameras but it's plenty fast enough for me with my OMD. If you can afford it, the 12-35 would be the best all around solution.

You know that was why I thought about passing on 20/1.7 because I remember slow and noisy autofocusing on EPL1 and GF1. I basically wrote this lens off thinking it was one of the first m43 lenses ever introduced and simply not designed for fast af at that time. But I am hearing about 17mm 1.8 Oly which is supposed to be introduced soon, that would be great!!!

The 20mm focuses more slowly on my OMD than any of my other lenses (12-50, 45, 40-150). It's not superduper slow, but it's not a speed demon, either, and if you want to use it to take pictures of moving objects in low light, you may be disappointed.

When I first added the 20mm to my collection, I didn't notice the difference in focus speed, really. It's on the order of a fraction of a second. But I did a head-to-head comparison with the 12-50, and the difference is real and noticeable in darker conditions.

I'm looking forward to the new Oly 17mm. I like my Pany 20mm, but I think I'll sell it and switch to the 17mm when it comes out.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow