Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,082Gear list
Like?
Olympus new models - our expectations vs. Olympus's reality
Sep 12, 2012

For those of us who have been around for quite some time (and this is the forum to meet most of the ole' timers), we've seen countless postings over the years citing expectations of readers for what they feel the next new product should (and will) have. Next thing you know, everyone has gotten their expectations up in a tizzy - only to be severely disappointed at times.

I know that for me - having seen what Olympus will do (and other brands for that matter), what we expect (i.e. the XZ-2) may (and often can) not necessarily mesh with what Olympus has elected to do.

I guess what I'm gettin' at here is that for those you ready to sell your XZ-1's lock stock and barrel, I'd take a few steps back for a second because knowing how Olympus has reacted in the past.....some of you could very well be disappointed. And then of course we'll be hearing the incessant lamenting of how Olympus is done, etc. Sigh....

So in the case of the XZ-2 - just sit back and wait. You may very well not that get that larger sensor of the Sony model - and on the other hand, you could very well wind up getting another 10 MP sensor (or at the most, a 12 MP sensor) with perhaps a few cosmetic changes on the body.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong on this one. I'd like nothing more than to see a really ingenious XZ-2 with all the things that people have speculated on the past few months. But after 10 years on this (and other) forum(s), I know to just kick back and take what comes along.

And in some cases, many of us have elected to keep our "older" models because we've hyped ourselves into such a speculative frenzy about what could be - as opposed to what the reality turned out to be.

So breath deeply and relax.

Now I must admit that it appears that the only brand (so far) that's really pushing the envelope is Sony (and I don't particularly care for that brand).

It won't be long now.....
--

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +25 more
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow