Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mackenzie999
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Ice Hockey Photography Gear Questions
Sep 12, 2012

Hey everyone…I would label myself an intermediate enthusiast, not a professional (I am an art director, so when I need a pro I hire a pro).

I have volunteered to be the team photographer for my son's peewee ice hockey team, but a little research on hockey photography tells me my old gear will not be up to the task (Nikon D70 and some decent but slow lenses. I assume my AF Nikkor 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 will simply not be fast enough at an indoor rink, if someone wants to tell me otherwise I'll be a happy guy).

So…I am pretty sure I will upgrade to the D7000, but the right lens is my question. Most of my research has pointed me towards a 70-200mm/f2.8 lens for this purpose, and I'm sure most of you will agree this would be a solid choice. However, I really don't want to spend thousands on upgrading my gear, and one store I've been talking to is suggesting that a Nikon AFF 85mm 1.8G would do the trick for indoor ice hockey. At about $500 it is much more palatable than what I'm seeing for the 70-200s out there, but research is showing me this lens is primarily used for portraits.

So…any advice on my situation? I'd love to just throw money at the problem but that really isn't an option right now. Would I be happy with the 85mm, or would that be inadequate or too limiting? Also, if I went with an off brand like Tamron, Sigma, etc, does anyone have any advice or recommendations on these, keeping in mind they will most likely be paired with a D7000?

Thanks!

PS My sons first game is this coming weekend, so I'm hoping to make this happen asap.

Nikon D70 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow