What's your "Bokeh Monster"

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
zaurus
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
FDn 50/1.4 with explanation and samples
In reply to clengman, Sep 12, 2012

clengman wrote:

I thinking about a lens to use for 2/3 to full body portraits that can crush a background into bokeyness.

A 105mm to 135mm equiv FOV lens is considered best for the purpose.

I'll probably get an FD mount 135mm f/2.8 because you can hardly beat the price and I have an old Ftb camera and a few other FD lenses that I still like to use now and then.

It is way too long at 270mm equiv introducing distortion and additionally it will introduce camera shake on non-stabilized bodies for slower shutter speeds.

Just wondering what others use for this kind of loosely-cropped blurred-out portraiture. Hoping some of you will have examples you'd like to share, and perhaps some pics with oof highlights to show off your pretty bokeh balls.

The Canon FDn 50/1.4 is ideal. Here it is stopped down to f/2 to keep both eyes in focus. Notice circular highlights, sharpness and color rendition. Unlike the FD 50/1.8 which has just 5 blades, the 50/1.4 has 8 and it shows.

The 50/1.4 is also very useful for low-light photography, especially of moving subjects. Here it is opened up to f/1.7 to achieve high enough shutter speed. Notice again highlight and color rendition.

Additionally, if you need longer, you can always put a tele-converter on it. One can get a mint FDn 50/1.4 for about $80.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow