Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 5,949Gear list
Like?
An eye opening reality check for the industry
Sep 12, 2012

Things are NOT going well in our industry.

I spent 2 days at a marathon workshop with ann monteith and 20 other photographers from miami to maine. When asked about experience/time in the biz I was relatively new at 7 years. One, just one, was in business fewer years than me. Many were 30+ years.

about ann - former PPA pres, master this and that , been in biz forever, teaches photo biz subjects.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ann+monteith&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

My wife attended at spoke with a number of women there and I talked with some too.

OMG! Of the women she spoke to - 25% of those attending - were part time soccer mom types with a sugar daddy. Some had main street studios, ALL were "in business' for over 7 years. NONE were making any money. Not a one. What is 'scary', so to speak, is how many were 'playing' at photography really. No clue about how to price, what to charge, what expenses reallly were. My wife didn't have a chance to talk to the other 4 or 5 women (60% women in attendance). Since EVERY one she spoke to was an MWAC for all intents and purposes I can assume most if not all the others were too.

One couple that asked a lot of questions have been in business for 35 years. Have school contracts. Shot 400 seniors 2 years ago. They will be bankrupt before the end of the year unless they can change something - because the business has vanished. Less than 100 seniors now.

Sure, some are doing very well in this industry - but most are not.

And Ann is privy to some of the PPA's 2011 (to be released soon) third benchmark study. ALL photo biz's have taken a hit. The 2008 study was done in 2007 before the recession hit - she says studios have seen a 20-25% drop in sales because of the recession.

And she travels to europe a lot - over there she says it more like a depression. Want to shoot a wedding? Sure - how much are you willing to pay the bride and groom? Seriously, that's pretty common. And you thought $500 shooters were a problem!

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow