Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gravi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278Gear list
Like?
UWA and filters
Sep 12, 2012

So I am almost ready to say goodbye to my trusty Canon 7D and the few accesoiries I have not sold yet. I thought that fast and/or long tele lenses were the only weakness of m43 for me.

I found another one: landscape photography using filters.
12 mm is not wide enough for me

the Oly 9-18mm is too weak to hold larger/ heavier filter(sets) - I'll elaborate further on.
The 7-14mm does not accept filters
neither does a fisheye.

The type of filters I want to use are neutral density filters, polarisation filters, and graduated neutral density filters. Sometimes more than one at once. And especially for the NDgrad filters, it HAS to be a cokin(like) system in which you can move the filter up and down.

I have a Cokin type A filter holder and some filters. There is not much to be found for that holder. And still it gets heavy with two or three filters stacked.

I have a Cokina type P filter holder. I can get a step down ring and fit it on the 9-18, but it will be even heavier. Plus the gradients of the bigger NDgrad filters make less sense on the small front element.

I used a Lee filter set a few times. Even heavier holder. Heavier filters (bigger). BUT they have some VERY nice NDgrads.

So, my question(s):

1. Anyone succeeded in fitting filters (Cokin like) on the 7-14mm?

2. Anyone knows of a place where I can still find Cokin A type filters of good quality?

3. How do you feel about my idea to get a 'regular' 43rds 9-18mm just to be able to use P size filters and to be able to put a little more weight on the front of the lens?
4. How is the IQ of the 'regular' 9-18mm compared to the tiny one I already own?

Thanks in advance,

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi's gear list:Gravi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow