9/11 flag memorial in Arizona today

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,211
Like?
Re: 9/11 flag memorial in Arizona today
In reply to Barrie Davis, Sep 12, 2012

Hi, Barrie,

Yes, you are correct in noting that people from other nations also lost their lives on 9/11. But I think you may have missed the point of the American flag display on this day. The American flag is displayed, one for each person who died on 9/11, to bring to attention that it is America (in this display) that is remembering all those who died on that day and, yes, it is an American commemoration, thus, American flags. Also, that they all, regardless of birthplace, lost their lives on American soil that day. "Honorary Yanks"? I dunno', but maybe that works too

Now, more to your point that perhaps those from another nation may have been forgotten in this particular display because their nations flag was not also displayed. I cannot pretend to get inside the head of those who planned this display, but I think your concern may be partially met by the fact that all 2,900+ flags also had an individual large 5"x7"(?) card attached. Each card with a personal bio that listed each persons name, age, residency, which plane or building they were in, why they were there and where they were going, and finally, a bit of personal info about them. Wow, what a huge amount of work done and all by volunteers at that!

Here's a couple of those cards:

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Barrie Davis wrote:

Jim, all flags seem to be American ones...[??]

Did it not occur to anyone that not all the victims were American? Or are they all 'honorary Yanks' for the purposes of solemn commemoration?
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow