Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Someday I will
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Very disappointed with A99
Sep 12, 2012

I was hoping this could be a real game changer, but, just like with A77, the rumors were prettier than reality.

Huge letdowns for me are:

-Same EVF as A77. I was hoping an improved EVF with greater dynamic range, greater refresh rate, no blackout in burst modes. Nothing beats a good OVF for photography.

-Modest 6fps + small buffer. The rumored 10fps faded into a modest 6fps, and the buffer is very small. We'll have to see buffer clearing times but it seems this isn't gonna be a sports cam. If SLT is claimed to be great for autofocus, why do you cripple the FPS and the buffer?

-Same video limitations as A77. AF with f3.5, limited ISO range in video mode. If SLT is claimed to be great for video, why do you cripple the video usability?

-Visibly noisier than competition. This can't compete against D800 or 5DMarkIII, and even D600 will trump A99 in the noise department. Not a low light camera by any means.

Welll, these are the biggest letdowns for me. I can't say for others, but for me these are reasons powerful enough not to get the A99. I had high hopes in this camera, but Sony, again, failed to impress me.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow