The Sony a99 is a wonderful commercial production camera.

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
TristanW
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
Re: For video, yes, hardly for stills
In reply to PerL, Sep 12, 2012

if result shows that TMT/translparent-mirror has no "visual" (negative) impact to IQ, i will perfer a really good EVF over OVF (even i'm using a850), even just trying few months on NEX-5N.

I shoot RAW+JPG all the time with 850, I need RAW a lot to correnct exposure & WB. Too tired for hundreds (or more) of correction tasks, if came back from a trip.
Sometimes needs to shoot twice-thrice to get perfect exposure.

Just sharing my experience/feeling.

PerL wrote:

Kirk Tuck wrote:

If you do photography for a living and a certain component of your business includes video this camera has just leapfrogged over Canon and Nikon for a number of compelling reasons. The EVF is critical for streamlined video production. The focus peaking and the PD full time focusing give tremendous advantages over the Nikon and Canon live view video configurations the video throughput and frame rates are great.

The inclusion of an adapter for using real XLR mic connectors is huge. The headphone jack for video sound assessment is great.

As a still camera goes I'm thinking this new 24 megapixel sensor will be a production sweet spot giving me the resolution I need without the overkill file size of something like the D800.

I've been using the a77's for professional applications all year and I find the EVF to be a wonderful tool. I have two a99's on order and I can hardly wait.

It will take Nikon and Canon two years to catch up since they just refreshed their lines this summer. That's an eternity in this business.

For stills I cant see any reason for a Canon/Nikon FF user to switch, so I guess it depends on what is most important for your business/usage - stills or video.

Don't like the EVF's? Time for you to change systems.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. http://www.kirktuck.com

-- hide signature --

Tristan

1635ZA, 2470ZA, 135ZA, 70400G, 50/1.4, 28/2.8 ;
58AM / 43AM;
a850

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow