Gotta Respect Sony

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
rothwells
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: Gotta Respect Sony
In reply to RichV, Sep 12, 2012

RichV wrote:

I agree in thinking Sony's doing a good job. But the other brands don't stand still - we'll end up with apples and oranges. Pentax, for example, just announced an extremely nice-looking body. Companies will innovate within their own areas of specialty, hopefully providing much more choice; there's no one camera brand for everyone.

-- hide signature --

There was a really good article written this morning (sorry for the life of me I can't find it again).....

The author made note that it seems like Sony has finally pointed its entire imaging division the exact same direction.

I couldn't agree more! Just a year or two ago, it was obvious there were 10 different groups working on 10 different designs and implementations. Accessory "A" wouldn't work on product "B", etc. Now take a look at all the cameras announced today......

All have the new ISO+ hotshoe. Even though many people whine at a new hot shoe, there are a ton of accessories that have been available for other Sony products that can now be used on the a99, RX1, VG30, VG900 and NEX6. Things like LED video lights, etc. Don't forget that the new XLR adapter works across the A99, VG30 and VG900, too. I think this is very cool and very smart!

I love the face that it seems like the VG900 is pretty much a a99 in Camcorder form. Yes, there are differences, but I like the claim it shoots Full Frame 24 Mpix still with shutter, etc -- but in a camcorder form factor.

I feel a new, cohesive, direction for Sony's imaging group and I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. I can't wait to see what comes out in the next couple of years.....

Of course, my wife is watching me write this and already telling me "no" that I'm not going to be buying a new camera body every year. Rats. Although I get to buy the a99 and all the accessories!

rothwells's gear list:rothwells's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow