Ballhead for 400 5.6 + 60D on mono-pod

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,827
Like?
Re: Ball-head on a Mono...
In reply to Tazz93, Sep 12, 2012

Tazz93 wrote:

Boy, that really sounds like more trouble than its worth. Try direct mounting like they said previously.

It's nice to have the freedom to tilt the camera without having to tilt the monopod as well. Plus having the monopod leg stick straight down is not very stable. It's better to have the leg stick out in front so you can lean into it and brace it with your own leg. And it's convenient to have a quick release, rather than screw on.

I like the looks of the new Kirk, but I can't see paying $200 for it. The version I have is the old Kirk that looks like the Manfrotto tilt head, but with the arca-swiss release. It works fine for me with my 70-200 f/2.8, which weighs more than the 400 f/5.6 the OP was using. I don't see it listed on the Kirk site anymore, though.

Granted, the friction is a little inconsistent, but I haven't been annoyed enough to want to spend big bucks for something better. It suits my needs.

-- hide signature --

• Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow