ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DannyDD
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Looking for near-perfect travel compact
Sep 12, 2012

Hi guys,

The day has come when I need to face the truth that photography is not about hardware, and so I am downgrading from my DSLR. It's just too big, changing lenses is too much hassle, and I am worried more about this than taking pictures.

As in the title - I'm looking for a travel compact camera. Now, I did A LOT of research, and the more I did, the more confused I get.

What I'm looking for is a versatile lens (from wide at around 24mm with some 15x+ zoom), GPS (I love my pictures geotagged!), reasonable low light quality (well, as good as it get's with tiny sensor), good day light quality and saturated colours. I do not care about mega-pixels. I rarely print my pictures (if so, just small prints), and 99% of a time just watch them on a computer or TV.

Currently it seems like main contenders are Canon's SX260 HS and Sony's HX20V.

The thing is that depending on reviewer, the ratings vary significantly between those two. On some websites Sony's excellent IQ is just out of this world, on the others (dpreview) is rather average... DPReview are praising Canon, and slating panasonics TZ30, but another website claims Panasonic is way better than Canon and Sony.

Does anyone has experience with these cameras? Any help most appreciated. Are there any other hidden gems reviewers don't cover?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 (Lumix DMC-TZ30) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow