ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joshnewdad
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
NEX-5R vs NEX-6
Sep 12, 2012

Hi All,

I'm a new Dad looking at both the NEX-5R and NEX-6. I'm considering both the 16-50/3.5-5.6 and 35/1.8. I'm looking to shoot great protraits of my baby girl, take video of her first steps, and have the perfomance of a DSLR with the portability these cameras offer to make traveling easy. Would you recommend one camera over another? The key differences I can see is that the 6 offers a build-in flast, EVF, and different controls. I see it has a hot shoe, but I don't know if I would use that since it already has a built-in flash. The 5R screen flips up 180* vs 90* on the 6. Am I missing anything else?

A few questions: How important is a flash with these types of cameras? Given the ISO is pretty good from what I understand will I be using a flash often? We have a relatively dark home, without a lot of direct natural light so use a flash quite a bit with my crappy point and shoot. Will I need to shoot often with a flash with these cameras? If so, I am tempted to get the 6 just to have it built in and not have to think about if I should attach/bring the accessory flash.

What about the EVF? Besides having a preference to shoot through the screen or EVF, what is the main benefit. I am only aware of stability being increased when you have the EVF balanced close to your face/body.

Are the controls more user friendly on one camera or the other? I'd like to get into all of the different modes in the future, but right now I (along with my wife) would be a beginer.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Your advice is much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow