Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Najib
Contributing MemberPosts: 687
Like?
Sony RX1 and it's effect on the Leica world
Sep 12, 2012

Now that the RX1 is official, I must say that it looks VERY impressive. People say "$2800 for a fixed lens camera!?" The way I see it, a ZM 35/2 costs $1100, and they're basically putting that on a $1700 full frame. The only issue is for those who want to change lenses. But, if you're like me who is happy with an M8 and a 35/2 on all the time, then it's no big deal.

I think Sony is a heck of a smart company as of late, and I think they will take top honours in Photokina as being the most talked about. Even if Leica announces an M10, it will be an evolution IMO, rather than a revolution like the RX1 is.

Having said that, as much as the Sony folks seem to say "The RX1 is a Leica killer" I don't think it is. Those who are loyal to Leica, will continue to be loyal. Simple as that. Those who have M9's will most likely upgrade to M10's, and not go backwards and get an RX1. The only dent might be on prices of used M8/M9 cameras, as those who look to those cameras MIGHT now consider the RX1 as a viable alternative. Although the RX1 looks amazing, I think they overlooked one key ingredient...ergonomics. I've used the similar smaller RX100, and although the image quality was fantastic, it fell apart from an ergonomics standpoint. It's a camera that has fantastic picture quality but you have to do a lot of menu surfing to change settings. I much preferred using my Leica X1. Although the image quality was not as good, the X1 was a joy to use from the perspective of ergonomics and ease of changing settings.

I'm eager to try an RX1 now and see how it compares to the Leica experience. I can already predict the outcome. Fantastic IQ that will probably rival the M9 + 35 cron combo, but without the easy and simple ergonomics of the Leica cameras. Again, as much as some people believe the RX1 is a Leica killer, I don't think it is. I think it's a great alternative to those who want a small full frame high quality camera that gives them the IQ of a full frame DSLR, but again, those loyal to Leica will remain loyal, and they will probably only get rid of the M9's when it comes time to upgrade to an M10...

Leica X1 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow