Flash Problems with Canon DSLRs

Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Flash Problems with Canon DSLRs
Sep 12, 2012

Has anyone had problems with their built-in flash or flash attachments flashing when not taking pictures on their SLR? Sometimes it will only do it once and sometimes four or five times in 10 or 15 seconds. I take a lot of flash pictures and usually use either a Canon or Sunpak flash attachment. I have had an Xti, two T2i and now have a T3i and have had three flash attachments to go with them. When I first experienced the problem, the Xti was just out of warranty, but my 430EX was still under warranty, and since I thought the problem was with the flash, I sent it in. Canon returned it stating the flash was OK, please send in the camera. (Did they know something I didn't?) I called and asked what the cost would be since it was out of warranty and decided it was not worth their price. Later I bought a Sunpak flash, but it also flashed without the shutter release being pressed, so I assume it was the camera and not my flash units. I later bought a T2i and it started doing the same thing very shortly after purchasing it, so I sent it in under warranty. They sent me a voucher to buy another camera rather than reparing it. I bought another T2i and immediately had the same problem with it and it did it with more than one flash attachment. I immediately took it back and was again given a voucher to replace it. This time I bought a T3i and guess what--my first pictures I planned to take was with flash and the camera started flashing before I took my first picture!! All four cameras have been great except for the flash. And since it has happened with three different flash attachments and on one of the few occasions I was using the built-in flash attachment, it flashed also, I assume Canon is using the same flash hardware in all their SLRs. I really like Canon, but since I take so many flash pictures, I am beginning to think I may have to try another brand.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow