Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
newone757
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Another New X-Pro 1 Owner- Day 1
Sep 12, 2012

Well, after bouncing around a little I picked up an X-Pro 1 and 35mm lens today. You might ask why when the x-e1 is on the way (which I do want). Well, its quite simple.

I bought a Nex-7 last month and after the newness wore off I realized I truly wasn't happy with the high ISO performance. I compared it with the Fuji but kept telling myself I was happy because from what i read the Xpro AF sucks.

Well...I noticed that while Nex-7 focus was fast, it was anything but accurate. Even when you get a lock on an eye, 8/10 it will be just a hair off, Extremely frustrating when you think you nailed a shot on the lcd screen, just to open it up on the pc screen and see its off enough to bother me. So I had to AF and then slightly adjust using DMF every single time before a shot to get critical focus. Not acceptable when I shelled out $1300. If anything, I'd like it to atleast be accurate.

All the while a wedding photog friend was talking up the Fuji something serious to me, dispelling some myths too. I was attracted by the x-e1 small size, cheaper price, and even built in flash (similar to nex-7 which can be held back and bounced off ceiling for some great results), not to mention the quality of Fuji's glass and commitment to enthusiasts and not the app centric, wifi built-in, consumer direction the Nex line has slowly been moving. So it all sounded good to get a refund and wait for x-e1, but unfortunately I was 2 weeks past the return period.

Fortunately I talked the manager into letting me do an exchange as he wasn't going for a refund ( I dont blame him, I spent an extra $1000 on this kit, more money for them). So far I think the AF is slower, and sometimes locks on background, but when it locks, it locks (as long as I remember to be conscious of macro switch when needed). Which is exactly what I want. ISO performance is breath taking (been shooting on auto ISO 3200, and havent seen any noticeable noise on my computer screen yet, even in low light). Feels more balanced than the NEX-7 to me too and seems to make more sense, ergonomically, to me as well. When Im shooting and fell I need to adjust something (SS, aperture, ISO) I just do it, without having to think about or adjust the mode Im in before making adjustments. Its a weird feeling, like a manual mode thats semi automatic or something. Just takes the guesswork out for me while at the same time, allowing me to experiment. The ultimate paradox. I just have to get faster at adjusting AF points while looking through viewfinder (I find the multi point AF to be too slow, we'll see what the FW update does)

And so far when I compare good images from both, the X-pro's are just that much better, making them great IMO. This is really early in the game, but I feel like Ive found the one-or at least the right system, for me. Happy right now, but my pocket feels the sting lol. Here are a few shots I took of my son at the park. Shot in jpeg, PP in Lightroom (plan to figure out an appropriate RAW workflow later)

Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow