Backfocus problems need to be fixed by Nikon?

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
jjlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,892Gear list
Like?
Re: Said it wrong
In reply to shutterbud, Sep 12, 2012

shutterbud wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the constructive comments. [and thanks DPR for the "ignore user" function :-)]

I plan to spend some time using the kit lens to see if the same problem manifests itself, though obviously with much smaller aperture comes less room for error. I too have noticed very few q.c. issues with the D5100 body coming up on fora and found the comments on the limitations of the 35mm lens helpful. I've definitely been given food for thought.

Here's a simple way to see where your lens is focusing.
Find a lawn with nice medium height grass.
Stick a golf tee in the grass.

Walk back to what you'd think is a normal shooting distance for the lens you want to check.
Shoot the tee.
Examine the photo.

The grass right around it should be clearly and crisply in focus. If the grass behind is in focus its back focusing and vice versa.

Repeat with your other lenses and if zooms, try them at different focal lengths to see if the error is consistent.

If you have to send the gear in to be calibrated send along the images on a disk or an sd card clearly labelled as yours and request it be returned.

Hope that helps.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjlad/sets/

jjlad's gear list:jjlad's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
coolNew
MostNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow