Started Sep 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
E-PL1 User, Got a Panasonic GF3 (Red) for $120
Sep 12, 2012

Well, I did it. As I posted in an earlier thread ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42465337 ) I was considering an E-PM1 or a GF3 to replace (or supplement) my E-PL1. In the end, the $120 price for the GF3 was just too good to pass up. I really want to see how I like the touch-to-AF/fire feature it has and see if that means I won't have anymore struggles getting sharp focusing with portraits of kids etc.

Also, in DPreview's GF3 review I could hardly tell the GF3 JPEGs from the Olympus ones, whereas the difference was obvious vs the GF1--an important consideration, as I strongly value the Olympus JPEG treatment. I was tempted to hang on to my E-PL1 in case I don't like the GF3, but I've decided that in that case I'd get the E-PM1 anyway, so I sold it.

At a price of $120 for the GF3, I figured--why not. If I don't like it, I could sell it for that much easily and grab the Cameta E-PM1 kit deal (which I almost did instead, save for my nervousness about its supposed struggles with IBIS). Alternatively, I could sell my wife's Nikon D3100 DSLR and it could become her camera; she doesn't know anything about f-stops etc & just shoots in "full auto" mode, only using a DSLR for the bigger sensor image quality & faster AF anyway. If I end up liking the GF3 after all, I could get her another one (a black one presumably).

My main concern is the lack of a hot-shoe & how I would mount a spirit level to it. Using a tripod isn't really my intention, my micro 4/3rds is more for "grab & go" usage, if I'm being that particular I'd use my Nikon D5100 anyway. I know the Panasonic has gridlines on the LCD, but I really like using the spirit level; if any of you find anyway to address this, I'm all ears. Any general tips about the GF3, I'm all ears for that too.

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow