K5II and K5IIs Announcement- Some Thoughts

Started Sep 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
NotSteve
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: K5II and K5IIs Announcement- Some Thoughts
In reply to cgarrard, Sep 12, 2012

I have the impression that Pentax has big plans but needs a bit more time to get there. But, there are upgrade cycles to keep up with so we have some incremental improvements that are very photographer centric (vs. video shooter). Having read a few of the threads, I'm realizing the idea with removing the AA filter is to increase sharpness while maintaining resolution and more importantly keeping down noise vs. going with an increase in megapixels. Is that about right? I found this an interesting trade off.

When the K-01 came out, a few people pointed out that this would have been developed under Hoya, given the usual times to get new cameras designed and manufactured -- I recall someone giving the time frame of 2-3 years. So, given Ricoh only bought Pentax last fall, something new and really post-Hoya is still to come.

I'm happy to know they did not mess with a great camera and have made some significant improvements. A couple of years from now, if I haven't gotten a K-30 by that point as a back-up, I look forward to having a choice between the K-5 II or the next flagship.

Even now, the choice between the K-5 II/s and the K-30 is pretty great.

NotSteve's gear list:NotSteve's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AhhhNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow