Again RX-100: extreme low light at an art exhibition

Started Sep 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
jerrith
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
Re: simply try spot metering
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Sep 11, 2012

Hi, I use spot metering to measure the light for my main subject and apply the zone system to be sure the lighting is correct for the main subject.

However in case of these extreme conditions, extreme bright highlights and very dark shadows, this will always lead you to have a compromise in the image you take.

You will either end up with (paritally) blown highlights or (partially) underexposed shadows.

This is when HDR can help you to get an evenly well balanced exposued image. How extreme you need to go (EV+1 to EV+6) depends on the variance in light and this is something that you learn by experience I'm afraid.

It took me a couple of test shots to get to learn the effects of the different HDR settings and gradually I learned to judge per scene the correct amount of HDR effect to use to get a well balanced image.

As most things, practice makes perfect. In the beginning you will most likely spent a lot of time making test shots where later on you will have enough experience to get the correct setting straigh away.

Also I have assigned the HDR/DRO option to the function button for easy and quick access, so adjusting it is a matter of a fraction of a second really.
--
Life is not about milestones, it's about moments...

jerrith's gear list:jerrith's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony RX100 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow